Christmas Past

The link party for the 6th is at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia featuring mantels.

This year I decorated my mantel and hearth with some vintage items. Because of that I have chosen the title, Christmas Past.

IMG_4521

I use this window often on my mantel.  It is just the perfect size.  I modge podged a newspaper scallop onto the back side.

IMG_4526

There are four pieces of mercury glass to tie in with my tree.

IMG_4522

I found this wonderful vintage plate with a clipping of an old building at Star Mill two years ago. It is all dressed up with a paper ruffle, tinsel, and a tart tin rosette.

IMG_4523

I love vintage postcards. These two are being held by small silvery trees sitting on top of an old book. Behind them is an old Christmas card box.

IMG_4525

The stand holding my coffee filter wreath is made from a railing post. I bought two of them at a yard sale for $3 each.  My friends hubby made a base so they would stand. I added a hook to this one.

IMG_4528

This is the other piece.  I left both of them just as they were when I bought them. I painted this base turquoise and the other one cream. More mercury glass trees.

IMG_4532

IMG_4524

Look at this wonderful blue ball I found at T.J. Maxx for only $10.  I love it!

IMG_4527

A glass swag and vintage postcards hang from the mantel.

IMG_4521

A bit of bling.

IMG_4529

A bird nested among a spindly tree and a an old sheet music garland on the hearth.

IMG_4530

I painted this small architectural piece the same color as my island.  Three dried limelight hydrangeas give the appearance of rustic trees.

IMG_4531

Here is a wider picture of the entire mantel and hearth.

IMG_4534

I’ve shown this before, but here is the tree in this room.

IMG_4443_thumb[2]

There are so many types of Christmas décor that I love.  My home certainly has a mish mash of a lot of styles.  However, I think old fashioned Christmas décor is my favorite.

Hope your December is off to a wonderful holiday season!

Jann

Here’s a bit of trivia for you.  Wasn’t sure which way to spell mantel or mantle.  I googled it and turns out both ways are correct.  Learn something new every day.

I will be linking my mantel and hearth with:

Marty from A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tues.

Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for the Mantel Link Party

newchristmaspartybutton1

10 comments

Anonymous said...

Lovely ♥ That old window is wonderful!
Blessings, Kelsey

Olive said...

Your vintage postcards and platter are so charming. Mantles are so fun to play with. Happy Christmas ♥ Olive

Marilyn said...

I love the paper chain made from old music. I have a trunk full...as in my grandmother's trunk from Russia when they immigrated in about 1913.♥♫

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Love your old fashioned mantel The paper garland reminds me of making them as a child.Aren't vintage Christmas cards great-they don't make them as interesting anymore.

Diane Writes said...

I love your white theme Christmas tree Jann. something unique and beautiful!

andrea@townandprairie said...

Aren't those old cards the cutest? And HELLO! LOVE the smocked curtain! andrea@townandprairie

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,

LOVE the vintage postcards so much whimsy & nostalgia...
Your mantel looks gorgeous, all the little touches are so sweet & heartfelt.
All the Best,
Christine

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love the old window frame above your mantle. My daughter has one, too, & I'm just in love with them! I love a mish mash, too!! I say that whatever you love, you should use.

Nikki said...

Wish I had a mantle......

Babs said...

My decorations are a "mish mash", too...a collection of things I've had for years and that have special meaning for our family.
Your vintage post cards and all your special touches are so pretty.

Instagram